The different ways to do urban agriculture in a city like Paris
In a city like paris with a high density of housing and architectural standards to respect, urban agriculture faces major challenges. We don’t have a lot of space available to do UA so we need to find hightech farming methods, like greenhouse rooftop, indoors farming, …
I will present you some projects done in Paris or in progress.
- Indoors farming in a container for strawberry : The AgricoolProject (link : https://agricool.co/)
This is a project done by two friends in Paris, in the Parc de Bercy, they produced one strawberries tray by day. Now they produce more strawberries in the Parisian area. With hightech farming like aeroponic system.
- Topager on the roof of AgroParisTech rue Claude Bernard 75005 PARIS :
Some researchers of the INRA have done a vegetable garden on the roof of the original building of AgroParisTech in Paris. They grow somes exotic plants like Okra (Hibiscus esculentus) or Paracress (Acmella oleracea). You also have a beautiful view of Paris when you are in the Topager !
- PROJECT – A greenhouse on the top of the Montparnasse Tower :
For the Olympic Games in 2024 in Paris, the mayor of Paris announced the renovation of the Montparnasse tower and its greening. This is how a greenhouse will be built on the roof of the tower, recovering energy losses from the building to supply itself with energy. To do this, a lot of parameters need to be integrate in the construction of the greenhouse, like the wind exposition, the materials use to build it…
If you want ton know more about urban agriculture project in the world, you can check those links :
- Urban farming project in Detroit : http://www.miufi.org/projects
- Urban farming in Nerima, Tokyo : http://www.city.nerima.tokyo.jp/kusei/nogyo/summit.files/draft.pdf
- Rooftop Greenhouse in Singapore by SkyGreens : https://www.skygreens.com/
- Infarm : Indoor micro-farmhouse in supermarket in Germany : https://infarm.de/
If you want more links or project, do’nt hesitate to ask me !